Monday, June 8, 2009

Letter of the Day

Welcome to the Letter of the Day!


I have a long summer ahead of me with three young children at home. In order to maintain my sanity, I had the idea a few months ago to do a "Letter of the Day" with my kids to keep a sense of organization and learning. My preschooler is just starting to get interested in letters, so I thought this would be a good time to do it. Since my 2nd grader obviously already knows his letters, I have created some additional activities to keep him busy and his school skills up as well.

I started this blog because when I went looking online for a good all-in-one resource for ideas and printouts, I couldn't find much. I have spent many hours thinking up ideas and finding links online for good activities.

Here are some of the great links to free sites where I got most of my printable activities and craft ideas:

Enchanted Learning

DLTK's Alphabuddies

First-School

You can search them for which printables would be appropriate for your child's age or what crafts or activities you want to do. I am not naturally crafty (and my oldest two kids are boys so they aren't really crafty either), plus I try to avoid craft stores, so all of the ideas I did are simple and cheap, and can generally be made with supplies already on hand at home.

I have included each day a list of ideas I gathered, what we did, and what could be done additionally. I don't have money or energy to drag three children to many "outings" so we didn't do many of those, but I have included them.

I hope this blog gives you some great ideas! I am using it as my journal for this summer as well as a central place to keep all these ideas. Maybe next summer we will do it again but modify it to suit my kids' ages then.

I would love any comments or additional ideas you would like to share.

No comments: